Monday, January 5, 2015

Foreign Trail Monkey - 2014 Running Year In Review

Oh the places you'll go!
by jake

February 2014 - Edmonton, Canada
Frozen Trail Monkey running in the Great White North
I was feeling a little left out of the 2014 OTM year in review, even a little envious of all the people, places, miles and milestones of the last 365.  To be honest, however, it was not for their lack of inviting me out.  I could easily blame missing running with the trail monkeys on a number of things this year...too much travel, too much work, not enough time, other responsibilities (coaching, church, xbox...whatever!), too cold, too hot, too early, too late...whatever the reason, I checked all those boxes!  I think I only went running with any OTM two or three times in 2014.  A nice New Year's flu even kept me out of the early morning New Year's Day run in 2015...so it's not the most promising start.

March 2014 - Jade Mountain, Taiwan
Having a moment of relief alone from the top of Jade.
"Covertly" circumvented the ranger station to get to
the top of this fairly restricted mountain range. 
The ranger was in the shower while we quietly
tiptoed through the check point. 
May 2014 - Tokyo Sunrise
Ran around Tokyo before the city had
come to life.  Beware of traffic that drives on the left
side of the street!
May 2014 - Tokyo - Imperial Palace
More from the early morning
But I still did my fair share of running in 2014!  And in some pretty unbelievable locations and destinations! Full Disclosure: I'm not nearly as dedicated to the Ultra-Distances and Peak-bagging extremes as the other OTM.  I do love to challenge myself on the trail and the road, love the views from such great heights, appreciate our close proximity to the unmatched terrain and scenery of the Rockies, and the sense of accomplishment when you do reach a summit for the first time is truly an emotional high.  No matter what your running goals, your speed, your ability, age, or where you are.  Just get out and run!  You'll feel better, you'll be happier, you'll make good friends.  There's always the next year, the next race, the next training run, the next step to look forward to... 
April/July/September 2014 - Portland, Maine
Running in the land of lobsters, L.L. Bean,
and Stephen King.
SLC Winters are cold enough for me!


August 2014 - Land's End, Los Cabos, Mexico
While the OTM ran the Quest for King's Marathon, I was
in Mexico, Running in the sand and surf!

October 2014 - Grand Tetons, Wyoming
Family Trip! 

November 2014 - Mount Namsan, Seoul, Korea
Even the leaves are raked into decorative piles
at this Urban "mountain" in the middle of Seoul!



November 2014 - Seoul Olympic Stadium
Flo-Jo, Carl Lewis, Jackie Joyner Kersey, juiced-up Ben Johnson, and now me. Early Saturday morning I snuck into the Seoul Olympic stadium and had a rainy solo run on the '88 Olympic track. I think my 100M times were about double theirs, but it was awesome to run around in an Olympic stadium all by my selfie, well before sunrise. To boldly go where no OTM has gone before...


Here's to celebrating the year in running in 2014 and looking forward more similar adventures in 2015! I hope to see you on the road or the trails, wherever you may be!  Even you, Sam.

No comments:

Post a Comment